Skip to main content

To MacPro or not to MacPro, that is the question

Apple has finally released the long awaited MacPro. Based on the specifications, this machine is, for lack of a better word, monstrous. The introductory model starts with a 3.7GHz quad-core processor, 12GB of Ram, 256GB of flash storage, and dual AMD FirePro D300 GPUs with 2GB of GDDR5 VRAM each.This is a great system, that starts out at $2999.00. It is roughly the size of a roll of paper towels. For the normal and even most power users, I would recommend that you pass on it. I know you are shocked. Where I have always been the Apple Fanboy, telling anyone that will listen to run out and but the new shiny Apple device. This is not that case. This machine has some of the best specifications I have found for any single device. That being said, for the normal user, the MacPro is a gross overkill. For a normal user that is using their Mac to edit pictures or iMovie, to Aperture or Final Cut Pro X. Pretty much any of the newer devices can   perform all of the functions that you are looking for, with the exception on maybe the MacBook Air. (Don’t take this as a slight on the MacBook Air, The Air is a great devices with 12 hours of battery life, but the processor is not as robust as that of the MackBook Pro or the iMac.) The new MacPro, is targeted just for this, Computer professionals. By that I mean users that are editing photos or video for a living. While these are devices are great, the “normal” user takes pictures, cleans them up and uploaded them to FaceBook or video to YouTube.
While this can be used I would suggest a $1,200 iMac, or an $1,200 MacBook Pro. If you need a device that can travel with you, The MacBook Pro is built to please. Not to say were one to be given to me that I would refuse it. Now that the entire Apple line has been released, which one are you looking for? As for me I run two. For my normal email, web surfing and so on, I use my MacBook Air with 8 GB of Ram, for more heavy lifting, such as  editing and compressing video, I use my iMac that has 12 GB Ram, and is my hub. (Many may remember Steve Jobs saying that the theory was the Mac would be the hub of your digital life and all of your peripherals were  going to be connected to the hub. It took me a few years to understand and grasp the concept, but now that has become a HUGE part of my workflow.)
So what do you Pro toll users think? To Mac Pro or to not Mac Pro?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enterprise OS Thoughts

It has been a while since the WWDC keynote, and I have been mulling over this post. Let’s start with Yosemite. While Yosemite looks amazing, Apple is trying to get into the Enterprise space, and while the new OS is great-looking, enterprises want stability. Wouldn’t it make more sense to go back to the old model of creating a great OS, then when you come up with a new feature, bolt that onto the existing OS, That model worked for some time in both Windows and OS X. Then any new features were added through point upgrades or Service Packs in the Windows world.

In my opinion, enterprises would be well served using this method. It would give larger businesses time to roll out the OS, and would only have to roll out out updates that could be delivered via SUS or Remote Desktop. This is where both camps are ignoring enterprises and just racing to release another OS. in the last 4 years Apple has released Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks, and now Yosemite. At the same time Microsoft released V…

From the “You gotta be kidding me” department

Michael Vick's friend, Tony Taylor has cut a deal with prosecutors' to lay out the entire goings on at The 'Bad Newz Kennels'. Apparently everything that was reported, and cited in the indictment was correct. Vick and the rest of his crew were charged with to conspiracy to travel in interstate commerce in aid of unlawful activities, and conspiring to sponsor a dog in an animal fighting venture.
The thing I can't understand is, how a star the magnitude of Vick can stoop to something so vile and repugnant. He is a multi-millionaire, and now it appears he has thrown all of that away. The Atlanta Falcons had forgiven him many things. Giving the finger to the crowd, bad mouthing other players, and so on. It looks like he has finally done something they cannot forgive. (and they shouldn't)
These celebrities need to learn that they are NOT above the law. The time has come to crackdown on all of these prima donnas. Vick's crime is far more heinous, than Paris Hilton…

Alook at the past

At the end of the year, I tend to be more nostalgic. I’m not sure why I got the idea to think about the past, but here we are.My generation is probably the last one to remember life without technology.
When growing up most in my neighborhood had only one television, and the idea of a remote control was the youngest in the room to turn the channel manually. Or how many remember that when the phone rang you never knew who was calling unless you answered it and had to be no further than 3 feet from the base.

Wireless phones were on the horizon, but not anywhere near mainstream. Much less a phone that you would carry with you to be in constant contact with the world, and the only way that someone could find you would be to call around to all the places you normally frequented in hopes of finding you.
I remember a world where if you wanted to play a video game, you had to go to a video arcade. We never thought of having a video game system or a personal computer in your home. A mention of…