Skip to main content

When is a tragedy not a tragedy?

This past week revered actor Phillip Seymour Hoffman died, as the result of an overdose of heroin. Many have called this event a tragedy, while nothing could be further from the truth. A tragedy, by definition is something that is unavoidable. For example a plane crash is a tragedy. When someone elects to subject themselves to a drug that has a history of taking the lives of users. 

Every day an average of 9000 people die due to an overdose of heroin. I think the thing that bothers me is that the media is shocked, that the addict has died all the while hiding the fact that they have been abusing the drug for years. How many celebrities have been addicted, to or died due to heroin? This isn’t a new fad, which is so sad.

Back to my statement about tragedy, a tragedy is something that is unexpected. A car crash, a plane crash, a person being diagnosed with cancer. That is tragedy. A person that dies due to an overdose basically has to make an appointment. He or she has to do so with forethought. The world has lost so much talent due to heroin, Lately Cory Monteith, but in the past there was John Belushi, Chris Farley, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, and Sid Vicious, just to name a few. The sad part is they get to “enjoy” the media frenzy after their death. Sad as it may be, what about the rest of the people that die from heroin overdose that aren’t famous. 

Those who are arrested for possession, or distribution, there is no punishment that would prevent them from continuing to deal this death. These celebrities, instead of crying crocodile tears at the death of their friend, why aren’t they in Washington, demanding stricter laws. Military operations to remove the poppy fields from other countries? 

The only true tragedy of what happened this week as in in the past, the world will be deprived of lives that were taken to soon, not only those of the performers that have been lost, but as well as the everyday people. Parents that won’t get to see their children or grandchildren. How many will never know what their lives could have been? That would truly be the tragedy.

How many people have to die before there is a culture change?  


My only hope is that Mr. Hoffman’s untimely death will cause his celebrity friends to take up this cause and put these death dealers out of business. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enterprise OS Thoughts

It has been a while since the WWDC keynote, and I have been mulling over this post. Let’s start with Yosemite. While Yosemite looks amazing, Apple is trying to get into the Enterprise space, and while the new OS is great-looking, enterprises want stability. Wouldn’t it make more sense to go back to the old model of creating a great OS, then when you come up with a new feature, bolt that onto the existing OS, That model worked for some time in both Windows and OS X. Then any new features were added through point upgrades or Service Packs in the Windows world.

In my opinion, enterprises would be well served using this method. It would give larger businesses time to roll out the OS, and would only have to roll out out updates that could be delivered via SUS or Remote Desktop. This is where both camps are ignoring enterprises and just racing to release another OS. in the last 4 years Apple has released Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks, and now Yosemite. At the same time Microsoft released V…

Skate to the puck

This week’s quote comes from Wayne Gretzky.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been - Wayne Gretzky.

This is terribly profound and can be applied to everyone. Everyone that is not focused on the present, is concerned with the past. How many times have you heard “That’s not how we have always done it”. If you are complacent in your life, how can you expect to get ahead? This isn’t to be confused with “Don’t dress for the job you have, but the job you want.” That implies that somehow the way you dress will magically make you better at your job. Wearing suits and so forth is a very east coast idea. If I had a company, I would much rather have a genius working for me wearing jeans and a t-shirt instead of a moron in a nice suit. (Sorry, had to get that off my chest, now back to the quote). For you to evolve as a person, this can be thought of as setting goals. For example I set a goal for myself that once a week I would write something for my blog. Goal set (and so…

Life is about creating yourself

This weeks quote is from George Bernard Shaw.

Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.

Beautiful and on target. There are too many people that are willing to let life happen to them, then complain that “Life is hard” instead of living life on your own terms. What do I mean by “living life on your own terms”. Many people hear this and think I mean you need to be a multimillionaire, jet setting all over the planet. (While this wouldn’t be a bad gig if you could get it) It means follow your bliss. Find that one thing that makes you happy and follow it. Personally, I like writing (as evidenced by the fact you are now reading it.) I know I am not a great writer, but I enjoy sharing my opinions with the world. If someone agrees with me that’s cool, but if they don’t that’s cool too. The point is in writing these blog posts I am making myself happy.

It doesn’t cost me a dime. But I am doing what makes me happy. When was the last time you did something just because…