Skip to main content

Life is about creating yourself

This weeks quote is from George Bernard Shaw.

Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.

Beautiful and on target. There are too many people that are willing to let life happen to them, then complain that “Life is hard” instead of living life on your own terms. What do I mean by “living life on your own terms”. Many people hear this and think I mean you need to be a multimillionaire, jet setting all over the planet. (While this wouldn’t be a bad gig if you could get it) It means follow your bliss. Find that one thing that makes you happy and follow it. Personally, I like writing (as evidenced by the fact you are now reading it.) I know I am not a great writer, but I enjoy sharing my opinions with the world. If someone agrees with me that’s cool, but if they don’t that’s cool too. The point is in writing these blog posts I am making myself happy.

It doesn’t cost me a dime. But I am doing what makes me happy. When was the last time you did something just because it made you feel good? (Get you mind out of the gutter. You know that’s not what I meant). I mean something like taking a day and taking a bunch of pictures, shooting video of an interesting location or subject or breaking out the paints and creating a picture. Don’t allow anyone but yourself define you. Because when you let someone else control the narrative you are subject to the definition of you they have in their mind of what you should be or how you should act. 

As always, leave your thoughts in the comments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enterprise OS Thoughts

It has been a while since the WWDC keynote, and I have been mulling over this post. Let’s start with Yosemite. While Yosemite looks amazing, Apple is trying to get into the Enterprise space, and while the new OS is great-looking, enterprises want stability. Wouldn’t it make more sense to go back to the old model of creating a great OS, then when you come up with a new feature, bolt that onto the existing OS, That model worked for some time in both Windows and OS X. Then any new features were added through point upgrades or Service Packs in the Windows world.

In my opinion, enterprises would be well served using this method. It would give larger businesses time to roll out the OS, and would only have to roll out out updates that could be delivered via SUS or Remote Desktop. This is where both camps are ignoring enterprises and just racing to release another OS. in the last 4 years Apple has released Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks, and now Yosemite. At the same time Microsoft released V…

Skate to the puck

This week’s quote comes from Wayne Gretzky.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been - Wayne Gretzky.

This is terribly profound and can be applied to everyone. Everyone that is not focused on the present, is concerned with the past. How many times have you heard “That’s not how we have always done it”. If you are complacent in your life, how can you expect to get ahead? This isn’t to be confused with “Don’t dress for the job you have, but the job you want.” That implies that somehow the way you dress will magically make you better at your job. Wearing suits and so forth is a very east coast idea. If I had a company, I would much rather have a genius working for me wearing jeans and a t-shirt instead of a moron in a nice suit. (Sorry, had to get that off my chest, now back to the quote). For you to evolve as a person, this can be thought of as setting goals. For example I set a goal for myself that once a week I would write something for my blog. Goal set (and so…